Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Two Views of the Mississippi by Mark Twain

Two Views of the Mississippi by Mark Twain 

Of course, everybody knows or at least has heard of Mark Twain. He is an author famous for his books like The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Prince and the Pauper. From reading this excerpt, I also learned that he was once a boat pilot at some point in his life.

In all honestly, I did not quite understand this short story right away. His story writing sort of gave me the dragging vibe. I had to read it again before I understood what he was writing about. It is literally about the two views of the Mississippi River but I believe that there is a deeper meaning to it.

This short story actually talked about humans and how we are with nature. Mark Twain implies that we take and use nature all the time, yet we do not give back to nature. Look at the world now, since we haven't taken care of our world, Global Warming and melting ice caps are what are taking over. Also, just like Mark Twain appreciates the beauty of the river, humans appreciate the beauty of nature.

This is a good read, one for a person ready to reflect on his or her life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment